Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Wednesday Cover: Doc Savage

Back in the early 90's, a small publisher called Millennium somehow landed the rights to the pulp character Doc Savage, and put out a handful of rather disappointing comics. However, on the plus side, they got artist Brian Stelfreeze to do a couple of covers for them.

Now, a lot of Doc fans don't like Brian's version, and feel that The Man of Bronze is too massive on these covers. I won't argue the point – but I find this cover, in particular, very pleasing. Maybe because it's one of the very few times we've seen Doc's distaff cousin Pat showcased on a cover (and showcased very nicely, too), or maybe because I just love Brian's distinct and unique style. In any case, this cover's one of my favorites.

4 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

Brian is one of my favorite artists. Yeah, his Doc is big, but... wait, that sounds perverted. What Chris said [and I'll leave it at that.]

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll agree that Doc looks a bit like the Hulk here, which I don't care for. But overall I do like the cover. I generally don't let cover art influence my own visual image of the character too much

Anonymous said...

Not only is he manly huge but gee he sure buys cheap shirts that rip easy.
Big fan. I have 95 of all teh Doc paperbacks.
Mike in Florida

Christopher said...

keep in mind that Lester Dent made DS as 6'8" and perfectly proportioned, so it stands to reason that he's going to look huge compared to the average-sized person.