Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Monday, September 09, 2013

Return Of The Ninja


I enjoyed 2009's Ninja, starring British martial arts star Scott Adkins. It wasn't a great film, nor even particularly original, but I thought it was a better-than-average direct-to-DVD action flick, and an entertaining throwback to the 80's heyday of Cannon's classic ninja movies. Well, director Isaac Florentine and Adkins have reunited to chronicle another adventure of Occidental ninja, Casey Bowman, with the oddly-titled sequel, Ninja: Shadow Of A Tear.

From the trailer, it looks like it could be fun. I'm particularly pleased to see little Kane Kosugi all grown up and playing the evil ninja in this entry. As a child, Kane frequently appeared alongside his father, the legendary "ninja star," Sho Kosugi, on films like Revenge Of the Ninja, 9 Deaths Of The Ninja, Black Eagle and Pray For Death. His presence just adds to the nostalgia factor for me. Looking forward to this.

4 comments:

Tom Doolan said...

Correction: That would be "Revenge of the Ninja", not "Return..." :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086192/

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this one, myself. I rather enjoyed the first one, and I'm becoming a big fan of Scott Adkins.

Christopher Mills said...

Blergghh.

I knew better. Just getting old.

Jack Badelaire said...

HOLY CRAP. I'd seen this trailer before, but somehow Kane's connection didn't spark for me at the time. I've got RotN on DVD, and it's one of my favorite 80's ninja movies. Kane's a pint-sized badass in that film, with a couple of sweet fight scenes.

I've seen Adkins NINJA recently and it really could have been made 25 years ago, and I say that in the best way possible. Solid, classic Ninja-movie action vehicle.

Christopher Mills said...

Yeah, that's why I liked Atkin's first NINJA. It felt like an 80s AMERICAN NINJA film... and I love those.

And unlike Michael Dudikoff, Atkins can really do the moves!