Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Friday, March 30, 2007

At Last – The Spider Returns!

My comp copies of Moonstone’s The Spider Chronicles showed up in the mail today. I'm told they'll be in comics shops on Wednesday.

This is a very big deal for me – I've had prose fiction published online and in a couple of (very) small press magazines, but this is the first appearance of a Christopher Mills short story in a bonafide, professional book; in many ways, it feels like my first real published story.

My one complaint (’cause you know I gotta have one): for some reason, someone made the decision to break 60 years of tradition and changed the traditional yellow and red logo to dark green and yellow. It just doesn't pop at all – and as far as I can tell, in the history of the character, it has NEVER been any colors other than yellow and red. Sigh.

Overall, though, it’s a very handsome volume with an impressive list of contributors (I'm in the same book as John Jakes, Bill Crider, Mort Castle, Chuck Dixon and Steve Englehart?!), and I’m proud to have been included... especially since, based on their reaction to this story, Moonstone's editors have subsequently asked me to contribute to no less than four more upcoming books! Cool, no?

In any case, it’s out now (finally!) and I encourage anyone who’s a fan of classic pulp characters – and The Spider, in particular, obviously – to pick it up.

Please, though, when you get to the sentence at the top of page 313 where I carelessly used the word "silently" twice – the second occurrence was supposed to have been changed to "soundlessly."

Had to get that off my chest. Thanks!

2 comments:

Glen Davis said...

I've been waiting for this since it was announced!

Christopher Mills said...

Yours is the first comment I've received on my story, and thank you. I tried to do Norvell Page proud.

I enjoyed your story, too. But then, you know what you're doing.

Thanks again.