Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Monday, July 14, 2014

A Birthday Comics Bounty

As I am not steadily employed, and comic book trade collections can be so pricey, I can usually only afford to get new comics twice a year - on my birthday and at Christmas (pending familial largesse). Well, my birthday was last week, and the family was very generous this year, so I hit Amazon and started carving away at my Wish List. This is this year's birthday bounty: two Astro City trades, the third (and final) volume of the great Russ Manning's classic Magnus Robot Fighter, The Rocketeer & The Spirit: Pulp Friction, and two Conan volumes (only one pictured above). Still have some catching up to do with those Dark Horse Conan books, though...

Of the comics I got in that Amazon order, I'm most looking forward to reading this one. DC has finally collected the 1988 four-issue miniseries Cinder And Ashe. This crime comic is one of the best things Gerry Conway ever wrote for the medium, and features utterly gorgeous artwork by Jose Garcia-Lopez.

I bought three of the four issues when it first came out, but could never find issue #4 (and I've searched a lot of back issue bins since '88!). 


I can't tell you just how eager I am to find out how the story ends... after 26 years!

And just to put some frosting on that comic book bounty goodness, I was surprised today to find yet another box of comics in the mail -- a package of books by my friend, comics writer Chuck Dixon, who very generously gifted me a bunch of his recent work, including a couple of G.I. Joe: Special Missions trades. Now, I've never really been a fan of the G.I. Joe franchise, but Dixon is a master at military-styled action adventure comics, and it turns out that these are drawn by Paul Gulacy, one of my favorite comics artists, ever... so I'm actually eager to check them out.

And speaking of all-time favorites, Chuck also sent along the first Airboy Archives volume from IDW. Back in the 80s, Airboy was one of my top three comic series (along with Grimjack and Scout), and I'd been wanting to get the new collections for my library, but was daunted by the cover price. 

What can I say? It's good to have friends, and while my so-called comics career has always been spotty, at best, it has made me a lot of good friends. Thanks, Chuck!

3 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

Happy Birthday, Chris. Mine is the 26th. No comic books in my future, though. Gee, I've got a couple thousand I haven't read yet (kept when I closed my used bookstore years ago). I wonder if there are any gems in that stuff? I really need to catalog all those comic books and offer them for trade. Sigh.

Unknown said...

Sweet Chuck Dixon deal, I wish he was my friend. I try and hit a couple of comic cons up here in Canada to look for TPBs. I can most times find them 25-50% of US cover price.
The Rockteer and Spirit is totally worth it and I finally completed my Crisis collection too. Now you got me interested in Cinder and Ashe, dammit!
Enjoy the read.

El Vox said...

Happy Birthday Chris. Looks like you had a good birthday with all the comic goodness.