Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pulp, Atomic-Style

It's no secret that as a writer I've had a few rough years, and haven't been nearly as prolific/productive as I'd like. There are a lot of reasons for that - many (if not most) of them of my own making. As per my New Year's resolution, 2013 has been all about the Atomic Pulp brand - i.e. finishing up the creator-owned comics projects that had been languishing (Gravedigger & Perils On Planet X), reviving older properties (Femme Noir), and getting started on some new projects that have percolating in my brain for a long, long time (Skorpion, "The Issue #200 Project," Star Busters, Young Felons In Love).

With half the year already gone, I haven't made quite as much progress as I'd hoped, but with the Gravedigger and Perils On Planet X comics running weekly online, I've at least made real headway on those particular projects and have raised my profile a tiny bit. I'm currently working on a new Femme Noir graphic novel, which I'll be sending to artist Joe Staton around the end of the month (I hope!) and have started plotting a new Gravedigger caper that both Rick Burchett and I are quite psyched about.

I also am working on plans to re-present the already-existing Femme Noir comic book material, and should have some news on that front shortly.

If I can keep my shit together, I should be able to get to work on new stuff by mid-Autumn (the above-mentioned "Issue #200 Project," Star Busters and Young Felons In Love), and maybe, in 2014, I can start looking for freelance comics work again (assuming anyone would be interested in hiring me).

In many ways, I'm my own worst enemy, allowing myself to get discouraged too easily, and letting that discouragement paralyze me for ridiculously long periods of time. I'm working hard to get past that, though. I just turned 48 years old this week, and there are so many stories I still want to tell....

4 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

I simply adore the Femme Noir material. I very much look forward to a new adventure. You can be certain I'll be scooping it up.

Rip Off

Craig Zablo said...

Chris,

When I spoke to Rick at Heroes, he really praised your writing abilities. Rick went on about how easily you can write in different genres and how you "get it" -- you know the genres and your voice is true. I, and many others agree.

Your self doubt has been holding you back. Please consider -- you have great ideas/stories, you have artists lined up to work with you, you have fans waiting to see your finished projects. You have the talent to accomplish you goals. So, what are you waiting for? Let her rip, Boss!

Craig

Christopher Mills said...

Craig - that was kind of the point of this post; facing up to my self-destructive tendencies and re-committing to overcoming them. I've made a lot of progress so far this year, but I still have a long way to go.

Thanks, as always, for your support and friendship, though. IT helps a lot.

Kevin Findley said...

Your body of work proves you're worth the wait. Stay healthy and on track Chris.