Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Mechanic: Jason Statham as Charles Bronson


The 1972 Michael Winner film, The Mechanic, is a favorite of long standing. I remember watching it on VHS back in high school with a bunch of my friends, and we were all blown away by it. Now it's been remade with Jason Statham and Ben Foster assuming the roles originally played by Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent.

We all know I'm a big Statham fan, and from the trailer above, the remake looks to follow the basic plot of the original film fairly closely. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

And, is it just me, or does Statham's voice over at the beginning of the trailer seem to be imitating Charles Bronson's distinctive cadence?

3 comments:

yoyorobbo said...

Great flick! (the old Bronson one, that is) - I hope this is a solid redo. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, the old one has been playing here and there on cable lately (maybe on thisTV? or the Retro channel RTV or something - can't recall). And I just saw it on a mutli-film DVD (The Mechanic/Assassination/Messenger of Death) at FYE a week ago. Snagged it!

Kevin said...

That same DVD is $10 at Wal-Mart I believe. The trailer looks pretty good

Jack Badelaire said...

One of my favorite Bronson films. I'm cautiously optimistic; I like Statham a lot, and at least it's got an R-rating...