Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wednesday Morning Musings

Another big snowstorm blew in last night, and we are now literally snowed in. Heavy, wet snow slid off the roof and has the front door totally blocked. If I can't get ahold of someone to come dig us out, come morning, one of us is going to have to tunnel out through a window. Hopefully, we can get the door cleared before the dog has to go out again...

Anyway, it's been a rough week or so. I've been under the weather, and so has my wife. I've been working on the various projects on my plate, but it's going even slower than usual.

Among those projects is my next DVD column, which I hope to have posted before the weekend. I've been watching the new DVD release of the first season of The Equalizer, and it holds up very well. The scripts are, for the most part, pretty tight, and Edward Woodward brings a lot of conviction and dramatic weight to his role as ex-spook Robert McCall. The mid-80s' New York location shooting is effectively gritty, and the guest casts are solid. Fred "The Hammer" Williamson and Ron "Superfly" O'Neal both have recurring roles as badass cops (which is especially cool for a 70s Blaxploitation fan like me), and Robert Lansing, as McCall's ex-CIA superior, "Control," is excellent as usual.

Good stuff, and I hope it sells well enough for Universal to follow up with the remaining seasons.

No comments: