Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Monday, December 17, 2007

In Brief...

Hey, guys. Been struggling with various projects and winter ennui, trying to get some things wrapped up before New Year. My sciatica's been flaring up a bit, too, which doesn't help.

Man, this is the coldest, whitest December I can remember in a long time. This old farmhouse isn't as cozy as it could be – for example, the kitchen was a later addition and has no basement, insulation (to speak of) or central heat. The last few weeks, it's been very much like a walk-in freezer, so we haven't spent a lot of time on meal preparation.

Finished the third series of Doctor Who with David Tennant, Really fantastic stuff, with writing that makes me feel really... untalented.

More soon.

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Houses with character are nice, but there's something to be said for warmth.

Bill Spangler said...

I haven't seen the entire third series of Doctor Who yet, but I was blown away by "Blink." What did you think of it?

Unknown said...

Chris,

I feel your pain on the Doctor Who writing. I sometimes get bummed when reading or watching something really good myself. Coupling (the original) is generally so cleverly and well written that it puts me into a funk an hour or two after I finish laughing.

PDS

Andy said...

"Blink" is the episode that I use to bring non-Who fans into the fold. It worked on my daughter, then she told two friends, and so on and so on...

A truly FANTASTIC episode!

Bill Spangler said...

I hadn't thought about it before this, but, yeah, "Blink" does make a great introductory episode. I believe "Blink" was written by a Steven Moffat, who also wrote "An Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances," my favorite episodes from Eccleston's tenure. And I understand that Moffat's modernization of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr Hyde (sp?) is very good, but I haven't seen that yet.

Christopher Mills said...

"I believe "Blink" was written by a Steven Moffat, who also wrote "An Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances," my favorite episodes from Eccleston's tenure."

He also wrote COUPLING, which Paul references above. Yeah, he's good, and "Blink" was a real standout.

Andy said...

I love "An Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" but, alas, my daughter refuses to watch any Doctor but HER Doctor - the always awesome David Tennant.

Bill Spangler said...

So Moffat contributed to COUPLING too? Cool...
On the technical side, one thing that intrigues me about the new DOCTOR WHO stories is that the tone of an episode can turn on a dime and it almost always works.
Like in "Gridlock"...Primarily it's a parody, like something out of 2000 A.D, but then there's the scene where they sing, and the ending. Great stuff.

Unknown said...

Moffat didn't just contribute to COUPLING. He created it and wrote the whole shebang!

PDS