Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chris In Real Life (or what passes for it)

Sorry I haven't posted much lately.

I've been struggling – as always – with my various writing assignments and my similarly varied health issues. I recently started a new diet (yeah, I know), and I've lost around 15 pounds. Not a lot, but a start. The hardest part is that I've had to cut out caffeine, and the past week of caffeine withdrawal was a singular sort of hell. I also went to the dentist for the first time in probably 25 years. Lucked out there, though: not a single cavity, just some minor bone damage from gingivitis, which I'm told should be easy to clear up with a couple of cleaning sessions and a little more diligence with my oral hygiene.

Currently reading the Donald Westlake novel, What's So Funny?, the latest – I think – Dortmunder book. So far, it's starting out promisingly. I'm also reading In The Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling, a modern take on the interplanetary romances of Edgar Rice Burroughs, et al. I'm hoping to pick up the new James Bond novel, Devil May Care soon, which I believe is supposed to be released this week.

The initial orders for Femme Noir were not as good as we'd hoped, but my optimistic and far-seeing publishers, Ape Entertainment, are still firmly behind the book, and not only will they be publishing the entire 4-issue miniseries as promised, but they've asked for an immediate, 48-page, one-shot follow-up. Joe Staton and I have already come up with a story idea, and we'll be starting on the new book – which I'm referring to as the Femme Noir Annual – just as soon as we've got the last issue of the miniseries off to the printer. The title will be Femme Noir: Supernatural Crime, and will guest star the skull-visaged vigilante known as Brother Grim. The idea is that our heroine and Grim will work the same macabre mystery separately from different angles, and then collide at the climax.

Should be fun, if I can pull it off.

By the way, I would still appreciate it if people kept plugging Femme Noir around the web and to their comics retailers. The third issue (which is probably the strongest issue in this miniseries) will be in the June edition of the Diamond PREVIEWS catalog, which comes out this week, and we can use all the help we can get. I'd be thrilled if we could buck the odds and actually increase the numbers for the later issues in the mini.

Here's the order info: Femme Noir: The Dark City Diaries #3 of 4, from Ape Entertainment, at the bottom of page 206. The Diamond Item codes are: JUN083647 for Cover "A" by Joe Staton and Alfredo Lopez and JUN083648 for Cover "B" by Phil Hester (Green Arrow, Nightwing, The Irredeemable Ant-Man).

Thanks for your continued interest & support, guys!

6 comments:

Josh Wagner said...

Congrats, man! I hope to read the book soon. Also hope to meet you soon, btw. Will you be at SDCC?

-Fic

Christopher Mills said...

Unfortunately, I won't be doing any conventions this year. Between my financial and health situations, it's not feasible. But I'm hoping that next year will be different.

FEMME NOIR artist Joe Staton will be at San Diego, though.

laughingwolf said...

good stuff, chris... hope your new lifestyle works, too

if i lose 45 - 65 lb, i'll be 200 - 220, what i weighed in my 30s... my doc lost 102 lb, so i'm trusting i can get to my desired weight in due course....

Charles Gramlich said...

I went back to the comic store a couple of days ago to see if Femme Noir was in but he said no. I'm not sure why the first one hasn't gotten here yet but I'll keep checking.

congrats on losing some weight. I need to do that myself.

Christopher Mills said...

Charles:

The first issue isn't supposed to be out yet. It is scheduled for sometime in June. As soon as I know the exact street date, I'll be sure to shout it from the rooftops. (Or at least, post it on my blog!)

As for the weight – I have more than a 100 lbs. to go before I'll be even close to the weight I should be... but it's a start.

Craig Zablo said...

Chris,

Glad to hear you're working on the weight... misery loves company and all. ; ) Actually I've been biking for the last month or so. Taking it easy at this point, but plan to kick things up a bit in the summer.