Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Holiday On Mongo...

As I noted a few posts back, Brandi let me order the first three of Dark Horse's hardcover Flash Gordon comics collections as my holiday gift from her. Have I mentioned that she's a great wife? Well, she came home tonight and informed me that she'd finished the budgeting for the month, and that I could go ahead and order the remaining two volumes! (Fortunately, I'd found an online dealer offering all five at a HUGE discount - being perpetually broke means I've gotten really good at finding bargains. I purchased all five volumes for the cover price of just one - not counting shipping.)

Plus, she also allowed me a little extra cash to order used copies of the last two David Hagerberg Flash Gordon paperback novels published by Tempo Books in 1980 that I needed to complete the series. Have I mentioned just how awesome my wife is?

So, in a few weeks, I'll be kickin' back on Mongo, enjoying forty years' worth of interplanetary swashbuckling. In fact, I've been totally immersed in the space opera genre lately. Writing it (Perils On Planet X), reading it (Spacehawk), watching it... and if there's one thing I've learned, it's to....

4 comments:

Christopher Mills said...

All but two of these Flash Gordon books have arrived, and if online tracking is to be trusted, those should be here tomorrow!

jason said...

Ahem. Could you let a brother know who/where this online dealer with the great bargain is? I'm very late to the party so maybe I've missed my chance, but still...

(You can send it privately if you'd rather, jason at jasonbennion.com...)

Christopher Mills said...

I found them through the second-party dealers on Amazon. Powell's in Chicago had them listed as "Like New" for $9.00 each - when they showed up, they were still in the original shrinkwrap. I don't know if they have any more.

jason said...

I'll see what I can find - thanks!