Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Saturday, July 21, 2012

More Summer Reading

It's not quite the same as coming across previously-unknown treasures while browsing through an actual used book store, but there's still some joy in discovering the existence of books you were unaware of while surfing online. Last night, for example, I came upon a blog where The Goddess Of Ganymede, an early Burroughs pastiche written by well-respected science fiction author Michael Resnick, was reviewed.

Being somewhat familiar with Resnick's later work, I was surprised to find that he had dabbled in the interplanetary swashbuckler genre at the beginning of his career, and it piqued my interest. The review of Goddess was fairly positive, and a little research soon found that there was a sequel to the book, Pursuit On Ganymede. From what little I've detremined from my Googling, it looks like there might be a bit of sword & sorcery in the mix, too.

You all know that I love this sort of stuff, so I went ahead and ordered copies of both books tonight. I expect that I'll enjoy them - after all, I genuinely like Lin Carter's and Gardner Fox's "sword & planet" novels, and if nothing else, those lovely Jeff Jones (I think) covers are worth having on my shelf.  Hopefully, they'll show up soon and in good condition...

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoyed both of them, although they are definitely 'early' Resnick."

Rip Jagger said...

I don't own these, but they do look tasty. Every source I can locate identifies the cover art as by Jeff Jones. The first one is absolutely by Jones, but the second one I'm less sure about.

Rip Off

Rip Jagger said...

I don't own these, but they do look tasty. Every source I can locate identifies the cover art as by Jeff Jones. The first one is absolutely by Jones, but the second one I'm less sure about.

Rip Off

Jack Badelaire said...

Yeah, those look Jones-ish to me as well. It's surprising (or maybe not?) how many authors out there wrote ERB pastiche ripoffs at some point in their careers.