Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Thursday, January 07, 2010

DVD Late Show 2.0

After five years of posting my DVD and Blu-Ray reviews at other sites - first at filmmaker Kevin Smith's Movie Poop Shoot, then Quick Stop Entertainment, and, most recently, at Forces of Geek - I have finally decided to publish them exclusively on my own, dedicated website. As of Monday, DVD Late Show Version 2.0 will officially "launch" at www.dvdlateshow.com.

Now, the official launch date is Monday, but the site is "live" now. On Monday there will be a slew of new reviews, however, including looks at the Blu-Ray releases of the technochiller Hardware, the T&A classic Screwballs, Mike Judge's Extract, and the sci-fi horror film Pandorum. And maybe more. :)

There are a number of reasons for this. Among them is a general dissatisfaction with how the "column" version of DVDLS had evolved, and the fact that it didn't really seem to fit in stylistically with the other features at FOG. Also, I confess that I had trouble maintaining the regular schedule. One reason for that was my self-imposed requirement to have a certain word count per installment, and sometimes it took too long to get the necessary number of reviews done to fill a column. Sometimes, there would be a drought of review material, which also made keeping the schedules difficult to keep. And, finally, sometimes I had more pressing assignments that had to take priority over the unpaid gig.

Well, no longer. In the new incarnation, I will be posting reviews as they are completed rather than waiting to fill out a column, which means more frequent overall updating. I will also be free to include Amazon links for the convenience of my readers, in case anyone wants to purchase the reviewed titles. And most importantly, I will be able to archive all my DVD Late Show reviews - several hundred of them, going back to early 2005 - in one place. This last one is very important to me; those reviews represent a whole lot of hours' investment, and I didn't like the fact that the earliest ones were effectively lost.

I am currently moving all of those reviews to the new site. I have over 130 in place now, and I have a lot more to go, but I'm getting there!

PLEASE check out the site, and if you find it entertaining and/or helpful, bookmark it, and make it a regular stop. Spread the word, link to it. If I'm going to need a lot of traffic/hits to make it feasible and keep it going. (This also means pretty much no more DVD reviews on this blog, though I'm sure I'll continue to cross-post on occasion.)

Thanks, guys.

Here's the LINK again.

1 comment:

Craig Zablo said...

Great idea and about time I say!