Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday Cover: DAGAR THE INVINCIBLE

For quite some time I've wanted to get my hands on some issues of Gold Key's Dagar The Invincible by writer Don Glut and artist Jesse Santos. I have read several interviews with Glut about his short-lived sword and sorcery saga (18 issues), and it sounded like a lot of fun.

Well, back in September at the BangPop convention, I was able to pick up four of the issues. I loved them! The Santos art was unique and beautiful, and Glut's scripts were clever and contained a lot more continuity than was typical of Gold Key titles. This issue, #17, is actually a fairly witty parody of Shakespeare's Macbeth (those three young women on the cover are witches, as it happens) - but it's also a very solid sword and sorcery adventure. The cover painting is also by Santos.

I wish I could afford to track down and buy the remaining issues, but our financial situation just won't allow it. Maybe someday....

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. I've never heard of this but I definitely want to find out more.

Cunningham said...

Chris -

Just letting you know that I'm working with Don to bring some of his other pulpy goodness to readers asap.

Dagar was awesome as well as The Occult files of Dr. Spektor.