Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Friday, June 06, 2008

Moore, Roger Moore

While Roger Moore may be my least favorite James Bond, I've always liked him as an actor and personality.

His characterization of Bond was generally too light for my tastes (although he had his moments, and both The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only are among my favorite Bond flicks), but I thought he was a fantastic, charming Simon Templar, and I'm a big fan of his work in 70's adventure films like ffolkes and The Wild Geese.

Hell, he also made a great – if somewhat more suave and urbane than is traditional – Sherlock Holmes, in the television movie Sherlock Holmes In New York.

He has a new autobiography, My Word Is My Bond, coming out, and I'm looking forward to reading it. If it's half as fun as Roger Moore's James Bond Diary, in which he chronicled his hiring as the new James Bond in '72 and the making of Live And Let Die, it should be a very entertaining read.

5 comments:

laughingwolf said...

sounds good, chris, but the prop is wrong in the pic... 007 used an automatic, not a wheel gun ;)

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely not the right kind of gun, but I might want to read this. I found William Shatner's Star Trek Memories and his Movie Memories hilarious.

Christopher Mills said...

Actually, in Live & Let Die, Bond used a .357 revolver during his assault on the bad guys during the third act of the film.

The cover to the book is a publicity still from the filming of that movie.

Glen Davis said...

Yeah, they were trying to rip off Dirty Harry.

I'd like to read his memories of Shout at the Devil with Lee Marvin.

laughingwolf said...

thx, did no know that....