Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sick Day Cinema: Galaxina

Sorry my blogging has slowed a bit over the last few days, but I've been struggling to finish some stubborn writing assignments. Today didn't help much. Woke up feeling ill, and so did the wife, who ended up calling in sick and staying in bed most of the day. Me, I took up residence on the couch with the dog and suffered my own ailments quietly in front of the TV.

On the plus side, I got my comp copies of DOOMED #3 from IDW Publishing today. This is the issue that includes a special DVD Late Show column. I also received a review copy of the 1980 sci-fi spoof Galaxina, from BCI/Eclipse.

I'll be writing up a full review of this flick for my column, but man, was it a bad movie. I first read about this film – as with many others – in Starlog magazine when I was a teen, and ended up waiting 26 years to actually see it. The movie is known (by those who know of it at all) as being one of the very few film vehicles for Dorothy R. Stratten, the lovely Playboy Playmate and Bogdanovich protégé who was murdered by her husband before the movie was even released.

It's terrible. A remarkably unfunny comedy from the director of The Incredible Melting Man (another movie I only know about from old Starlogs) and good old Crown International Pictures.

Here – check out the trailer for yourself (note, the sound's a little out of synch, but really – who cares?):

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I know about Stratten is what I saw in the movie Star 80, which was a pretty good flick.

. said...

Great blog :)

El Vox said...

I remember seeing this when it came out a long time ago. At the time I didn't think of it as a spoof (probably went over my head at that time), but it certainly plays better with that in mind. Sort of a Barbarella ripoff (which I still prefer and enjoy).