Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Eighth Wonder!

A couple of nights ago, I picked up the original King Kong on Blu-ray. Warners did an astounding job on the transfer, which appears to be derived from the same source used on the 2005 DVD, but further tweaked for high definition. I don't know how many times I've seen this film, but watching it again the other night on the 55" HDTV was almost like seeing it for the first time. It was a wonderful experience, and on the big screen TV, I noticed a multitude of details that I never really saw before.

I've owned the movie on VHS and on laserdisc (the 90s Criterion edition) and on DVD. It is, without question, one of my top ten favorite films of all time. I am so pleased to be able to have it on my shelf in this format. I'm also glad that Warner Home Video included all of the supplemental material from the 2005 DVD, particularly the exhaustive retrospective documentary produced by Peter Jackson.

1 comment:

Rip Jagger said...

I just bought that 2005 dvd again, in the tin case with a few extras I didn't already have. I found it for small money at a local Half-Price Books, but it's always a treat. I got it and a big old book on the history of the Kong by Ray Morton.

Like you, I've owned Kong on various formats, and you make me ache to see this version. The detail which I saw for the first time on the 2005 dvd was astounding.

Rip Off