Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Falcon Has Landed

Today I received the Falcon Mystery Movie Collection, Vol. 1, from Warner Archives, containing the first seven films in RKO's "Falcon" series. The films - which starred George Sanders and then his real-life brother, Tom Conway - are tight little B-mysteries in the vein of the studio's "Saint" programmers.

I guess I know what my next seven midnight movies are going to be...

3 comments:

Sign out said...

Cool! My wife and I totally want to get this set. We have Region 2 discs for THE FALCON TAKES OVER and THE FALCON'S BROTHER. The former, based on Farewell, My Lovely, is a fascinating case study of taking a story from one series and rebuilding it for another series. Comparing the original book with both the Falcon version and the movie version MURDER, MY SWEET, it's surprising how many pieces of the Falcon version follow the book more closely than the Marlowe film.

Christopher Mills said...

The picture quality on these discs is a bit of a disappointment; surprisingly beat-up prints were used for the transfers. Shame that Warners couldn't dig up better source materials...

Sign out said...

Oh! That's too bad. Still, I'll probably get the set anyway. I can't imagine they'll ever go to the time and trouble of creating a better set.