Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Monday, May 17, 2010

Tales Of An Ancient Empire Red Band Trailer

TALES OF AN ANCIENT EMPIRE - RED BAND TRAILER - HD version from Albert Pyun on Vimeo.

This is the recut, improved version of the trailer I discussed in my previous post. I still think the CGI looks, well, just awful, but overall the pace and feel of the trailer is much better, and not quite as claustrophobic and grim as the earlier cut.

I am really quite surprised at how much Pyun is considering the input of the fans, both in the preparation of this trailer and in shaping his film. It's certainly a different way to approach film making, and it wouldn't be possible if he wasn't producing his movies independently now.

I've been very critical of Pyun's movies over the years, and now that he's working outside the studio system, it will be interesting to see how much or how little the lack of influence/interference from producers/backers actually matters to the final results....

3 comments:

Iron Mammoth said...

I missed the pre order for the DVD, and now, finally watching the trailer I am actually quite glad I did.

I have not got any problems with the inclusion of vampires as the bad guys, in fact seenig them in a high fantasy setting might be a pleasent change from the normal modern setting (excluding Underworld 3 of course).

However the trailer comes out looking like a cross between Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and an early episode of Hercules (with dire CGI that fits right in).

This is looking lesss and less like a worth sequel to The Sword and the Sorcerer and more like a cheap SyFy channel knock off movie.

I hope I am wrong, an I will no doubt pick up the DVD at some point, but I am leaning towards waiting for it to hit the bargain bins at the moment!

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, I'm not feeling bowlled over.

Martin Powell said...

I think it looks badly dull. I didn't even want to finish watching the trailer.