Personal blog - and temporary home page until new website is finished - of writer, editor and graphic artist Christopher Mills


Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The First PARKER Trailer


I have mixed feelings about this preview trailer for the upcoming film, Parker, based on the Richard Stark (Donald Westlake) books. I've been a bit wary about Jason Statham's casting ever since I first heard about the project - we all know that I love Statham as an action star, but I suspected from the beginning that the filmmakers would end up adapting the character to his established film persona, rather than get him to play the Parker of the books.

Based on this trailer, it appears that I was right.

The opening scenes of the heist and double-cross certainly have a Stark/Westlake flavor, but the rest of the trailer plays out like every other Statham star vehicle. Which means I'll probably enjoy it as an action movie... but as an adaptation of Stark/Westlake? Probably not so much.

Still, it's only the first trailer, and it may simply be a marketing choice (and probably the correct one) to try and make it appeal to the legions of Statham fans who probably don't have the foggiest idea of who the character Parker is.

I'll try and keep an open mind....

I do love the poster, though. Nice, clean, striking design.

3 comments:

ColKillgore said...

Wasn't Parker played by Mel Gibson in Payback? Is this the same character updated.

ColKG

Christopher Mills said...

Payback was an adaptation of the Richard Stark (Donald Westlake) book The Hunter, which was the first of a series of novels about the character of professional thief, Parker. The same novel was adapted by John Boorman in the 60s as Point Blank with Lee Marvin. In both of those adaptations, the character's name was changed ("Porter," "Walker").

Other Parker novels that were adapted into films are The Outfit with Robert Duvall, and The Split with Jim Brown.

ColKillgore said...

The part of the Parker trailer where he was shot and left for dead then returned made me connect it to the similar plot device used in Payback and Point Blank.
I didn't know about the novel connection so thanks for that. I might have to hunt them up and read them.

ColKG